Thursday, June 5, 2008

If today is a preview . . .

of the rest of the summer, then I'm definitely ready! Those who know me, know that I am a night owl. The worst, and I mean worst thing about the school year is having to get up at 6 a.m. School was closed today due to weather related power outages so I slept until 8:30. Actually that is early for me, but I did go to bed before 1 a.m. By the end of the summer, I will be in my 2 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. sleep cycle which feels absolutely fabulous! It's amazing that my skin looks better and I can lose weight when I keep that schedule. Unfortunately there just are no public schools which allow me to have a schedule that would accommodate my biological needs! I think there should be a school cluster for those of us who wake up in the later hours. I bet grades would be better and the employees a lot sharper!

Yesterday, we had tornado warnings. Our principal decided to be proactive and we went to a code blue situation at 12:30 followed by tornado safety stuff at 2:30--sitting in the hallway with heads covered. It was insane as it was just starting to cloud up and hadn't even started raining. She did tell us to leave by 3:30 to beat the storm and the storm hit as I was creeping up Rt. 29. It was really torrential and all the overpasses had cars stopped under them. It was gone in 10 minutes, but not without causing some major destruction in parts of the DC metro area. I drove by the house to make sure no trees had fallen on it then proceeded to the bank and to Petsmart as the kitties' pantry was bare!

I haven't gotten a lot done this week because it was the week of the Stanley Cup finals. I'm not a big sports enthusiast, but I do love my hockey! There's just something about the grandeur and the history of Lord Stanley's Cup! How did the USA ever get so wrapped up in football? This is so much better! I guess it is just more dignified than the Super Bowl!

So I'm sitting at home thinking about all the stuff I would be getting done at school today with 3 planning periods! Tomorrow I have none so I will have to pay the piper and put in some major overtime hours now to close things down.

This summer will be one of hopefully getting things done around the house. I cannot spend money except on some house things. The BG&E 80% electric rate hike along with the increased gas prices will see to that. Fortunately I have a lot or projects to tend to. We want to put some heat blocking window film on our back windows for starters. I also have curtains to make for the dining room plus other sewing to do.

Then there is this:

This is my Victorian vanity bench. I'm loathe to admit that I actually sit on this every morning when doing my make up. I acquired it about 18 years ago and it was quite lovely when I upholstered it in the sky blue moire taffeta. Unfortunately, that was not a durable fabric and, as you can see, this stool is falling apart. The braid has come off and the stool is becoming unglued.

But here is the real reason I haven't attacked this project yet:

Greg loves this thing. When I am getting ready in the morning, he runs over and gets on the stool just as I am about to sit down. Sometimes he'll even turn his back to me as if to say, "Don't even think about sitting here!" I'll have to use a spare chair and he'll just have to suck it up. Here's the plan: I have to take the stool completely apart and I will paint it off white which the little darker carved wood trim being painted in a muted blue--sort of shabby chic style. Then I have this fabric:

This will be a lot more durable than the moire. I have a love-hate relationship with the craft of upholstery. I simply hate doing it, but I love the outcome. Fortunately, my little purchase of an electric staple/nail gun will make this job a lot easier the second time around. It's pulling out the old tacks that will totally blow! I also have a nice wood armchair that is halfway done that I need to finish upholstering. It was a wedding gift to my inlaws and I hope to finish it up this summer as well.

On the knitting front--I am finishing up Fete within the next week then I have to do the SKC knit along project. Stitch Diva studios sent out an email with a preview of their new patterns that are coming out:





Another summer love--dinners with minimal cooking! I'll be sharing some of my favorite summer recipes here. We just got in some tomato and pepper plants and I'll be putting in cukes, squash and melons when school gets out. Here is a favorite side dish which is in our fridge throughout the summer:


Cucumber Salad

Ingredients:
2 med.-large cucumbers
1 med. sweet onion such as Vidalia
1 c. white vinegar
1 c. water
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. parsley flakes or 1 tb. snipped fresh parsley
salt/pepper to taste

Peel cukes and thinly slice them. Half onion and thinly slice. I use the thin slicing blade for both. Place vegetables in serving bowl. Combine water, vinegar, sugar and spices in a jar and shake well to combine. Pour over vegetables and refrigerate until serving time. This dish is best when prepared a few hours ahead of time. Really refreshing when the weather gets hot!

Other news--I took Ems to the BMAfor the Baltimore Ink show last Saturday night. I have never seen such tattoo art in my life! I'm not a tattoo person, but I have to appreciate the ink that some of the participants were displaying! Some of them were literally covered. We're not talking biker tattoos either. It was true art!

It is now time for my
Bushism of the day
"I think younger workers -- first of all, younger workers have been promised benefits the government -- promises that have been promised, benefits that we can't keep. That's just the way it is." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 4, 2005

Huh?

Kitty cam: Greg snoozes in his favorite box.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the new Stitch Diva patterns, particularly the one shown in grey, and the Chanel jacket style one. Do you think you'll knit any of them?

    ReplyDelete