Saturday, April 7, 2007

You can't fool Mother Nature!

But she can certainly fool us and is having a ball doing so. Let's see--a recap of this week's weather--Monday was 82 degrees and a fabulous spring day. Tuesday was similar. Pheelya and I went out for manicures and pedicures, wearing our spring tops and flip flops and we sat outside for lunch at Einstein Bagels. It was actually hot in the sun! Wednesday was cloudy with drizzle and in the 60's. Then, bam! The temperature took a dive! Thursday and Friday were in the 40's with talk of, dare I say it? Snow! Now a month or two ago, the "S" word would have been music to my ears! Being a teacher, snow days are the best surprises ever--particularly if you've planned accordingly and have all the fixings for expresso drinks, homemade soup along with digital cable and some UFO's lying around (who doesn't have those!!) But in April, on Easter weekend no less--well that's just not right, so Mother Nature needs to have a serious attitude adjustment. I won't have her personality problems messing up my spring and summer! Got it? No heat waves, hurricanes and that stuff! Clean up your act, girl!

Here's the view from the back door this morning!

Here's the view from the front porch! I had put my annual pot of tulips out and they closed up tighter than a drum! I guess they are trying to keep warm too!
After taking that photo, I found MikeyMo on the back of the couch.

I couldn't resist another photo of him, particularly since it shows off his extra digits. For those who don't know, Mikey is a polydactyl kitty. That means he has extra toes. When Ems found the litter at the restaurant park in May 2001, she brought them home (there were 5 of them) and exclaimed "One of them is polydactyl. Can we keep it?" Who am I to say no to keeping a cat! Of course we ended up keeping Greg too! Mikey is gaining weight which, according to the vet, is a good thing because it shows that his diabetes is getting regulated. However, because he was overweight before he lost weight, it isn't a good thing. I had to temporarily put him on some Purina food due to the pet food recall. His prescription food was recalled. He likes the Purina stuff a little too much and I find him eating too frequently. Fortunately, I was able to pick up another type of prescription food for him today. Hopefully he won't like it so much and will only eat it when he's really hungrey! Mikey has his own web page which is dedicated to his polydactylness (is that even a word?).

I had a lovely day at the hairdresser's yesterday. I decided it was time to go red again. My hair was already auburnish. It had been copper red several years ago. Those who haven't known me long, don't know the transformations I've been through. I like to reinvent myself every so often. 14 years ago --one year before a very major birthday, I decided to do just that. I went to the hairdresser with long, wavy, highlighted blond hair and told her to cut it off and dye it red. I walked out of their looking like Sharon Osborne! My kids' friends used to call me Sharon and I had literally been stopped by strangers with comments like "You know you look just like Ozzy's wife!" Geez, who knew? So the last major birthday, I decided to grow the short hair out and reinvent my personal style by basically dressing like a girl. That means that I traded my clogs for stilleto heels and the "mom" jeans for somewhat low rise bootcut jeans. I also have accumulated a collection of vintage dresses, mostly from the 50's, which I live in during the warmer months. During this time period, my hairdresser decided to take most of the red out of my hair. So this being birthday week (my birthday is on Easter Sunday), I decided to have her red it up a bit!

It's actually a subtle change, but the true test will be when I go back to school on Tuesday. I'll see how long it takes one of the kids to yell out "Did you dye your hair?" You just can't put anything past them!

Other stuff--I really got started on my Sahara sweater for the KAL. The Great Big Sea yarn isn't gauging exactly, but it is close enough. It is stunningly beautiful. I had photographed the skeins in an earlier post. The color gradations are very nice and it just glides on the needles. It has that sheen that only silk can have.


That's it for now. I have to go play Easter bunny!

No comments:

Post a Comment