Monday, April 2, 2007

Iron City

Went to Pittsburgh over the weekend for Bird's junior recital. Of course, I worried the entire weekend. Friday night I heard on the news that the prescription dry food that Mikey (and the other boy kitties) eats for his diabetes was put on the recall list of foods with tainted wheat gluten. Of course as luck would have it, I had just bought a bag the day before figuring I would just leave dry food out for the cats while we were away. I called the vet and they were out of the other diabetic dry food so I rushed to the store to get a high protein weight loss food for the weekend. Of course, the cats were oblivious to all of this as can be seen by their responses:





Oh for a cat's life! I think the daily list of activities would look something like this: Wake up, eat, sleep, play, sleep, sleep, play, sleep, eat, play, sleep, sleep, play, sleep. Rough life! We should all be so pampered!

So I fed the cats before leaving for the Burgh Saturday morning, and as I often have to do, I shut Samantha in the powder room with her food so she wouldn't eat the boys' food and they wouldn't eat hers. She has a special food for cats with urinary problems. When we got home Sunday evening, I heard a kitty cry and lo and behold, there was poor Samantha still shut in the powder room with no food or water. She didn't even pee in there--she's such a little lady! I felt a major surge of maternal guilt and I apologize to her everytime I see her! She seems to hold no ill will though as she still crawls in my lap for love!

Jeremy performed quite well on his recital. It was a joint recital with a senior who studies with the same trumpet teacher. Afterwards, we went to a new restaurant on the South Side called the Double Wide Grill which is in a converted gas station. It was very cleverly done and the menu is good. They have a lot of tables outside since the weather is getting nice and they open the doors to the bays so the whole thing is open. It was a very pleasant evening. I was surprised as to who neat Bird's house was. I mean, think about it! Three fraternity brothers in a house can make for a real mess, but it was surprisingly neat--except his room which was basically a disaster area. Fortunately he's up in the third floor so no one sees that!

I finished a chemo cap while waiting for J's recital to begin.


This is the Eyelet Lace Elegance Hat by Kody May. She designs wonderful hats. Her pattern is flat knit and I altered it to knit it in the round. I used Berroco Cotton Twist since they don't want wool in chemo caps! I hope to knock off one more of her designs before Wednesday so I can turn it into our knitting club to be distributed to cancer patients.

Random thought--What is it about cats and boxes? Whenever I throw a box on the floor to be recycled, someone gets in it. The box can be half the size of the cat, and someone still tries!


It's spring break, and while I would love to spend it finishing odd projects, I have to bite the bullet and clean. Yuck! Cleaning house is the single most unappealing activity I can think of! I like the way it feels afterwards, but I just don't want to be the one who has to do it! Obviously, there are no volunteers around here, so by default, I get to indulge myself in such pleasures as dusting, vaccuuming and washing floors! Goody! Gotta go!

2 comments:

  1. The hat looks really cute!

    I don't know what it is about boxes, but Frisco is the same way. And is seems like the smaller the better for him *laugh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my friends cats likes to get into plastic grocery bag and be picked up ... animals are so entertaining! Have fun cleaning - I wish I had the time for a major clean-up. Our house needs it desperately!

    ReplyDelete