Monday, May 26, 2008

Reflection

Today is Memorial Day. I was taught to respect this day and those who have sacrificed so much for our freedom. I still feel this way and I thank those who put their lives on the line for our country from the bottom of my heart.

Last night I watched the HBO docudrama called "Recount." If you subscribe to HBO, I highly recommend that you watch this movie. It is about the Florida mess during the 2000 election. It truly boggled my mind--the fact that there were powers in play that obstructed the counting of all the votes. What does this have to do with Memorial Day? I can't help but wonder if there would even be a war in Iraq had all those votes been counted. Would Al Gore have sent our forces to Iraq? I truly think not. Assuming the events of 9/11 would still have occurred under his watch, I truly believe that Al Gore would have sent our forces to Afghanistan in search of Bin Laden. I also think such a conflict would be long over.

Should've, could've, would've. It really doesn't matter now, does it? I respect those in the military who do what they are told to do and those families who support them. Let's hope that the voters in our country take stock of the sacrifices these men and women have made when they go to the voting booth. Let's hope they make a choice that will ultimately bring our soldiers home sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, I would like to say a heartfelt "Thank you" to those men and women in the military who keep us safe and to those families who have sacrificed a loved one so that the rest of us can enjoy the freedoms that we have.

Thank you.

1 comment: