Sunday, May 4, 2008

A little bit of this, a little bit of that!

I actually feel like I've been somewhat productive this weekend for a change. Saturday, DH and I attended my annual DAR luncheon and auction at the Candlelight Inn in Catonsville. We had a nice time then stopped at the Sew Vac store on the way home to get this:

The power head on our old vacuum had given out (again) and it was over 20 years old anyway. It was time to splurge. DH keeps asking if he should wrap it for mother's day. Ha Ha! Not if he knows what's good for him!

Obviously I spent part of the afternoon vacuuming. My rugs were covered in kitty fur! Then I actually set out to knit. I've swatched for the linen cardigan I showed in my last post. I love the yarn which is Elsebeth Lavold Silky Tweed, now discontinued. It has a little too much texture to fully show off the lace pattern, but I like it anyway. It has a sort of rustic look which is what I want to wear with jeans.

I have to take off my splint to knit and I can only do it for short periods so it will be a slow process for a while.

Today, I made a lining for DH's haversack. That's his tote bag that goes with his Rev War uniform. He needed pockets for his cell phone and wallet, so I lined the whole thing and made custom pockets for his wallet, phone, glasses and two other pockets! It felt good to sew. I haven't really done so in a little while. I need to make a jean skirt and I need to do my curtains for the dining room. I'm really racking up projects. My Victorian bench that I use in the bathroom is literally shredded. I need to bust it apart, glue it, paint it and reupholster it. I can't do any upholstery until I'm completely healed as it involves removing nails and hammering which takes more muscle than I have right now. Applying the new fabric will be easier this time around a I did buy a power stapler/nail gun when I did my dining room chairs!

The other thing I finally got around to was moving into my new wallet! Moving into a new wallet or purse is a big ordeal for me. I'm one of those who uses the same wallet or purse for years -- until it falls apart. I buy really good ones which tend to last forever. My last wallet was a cheaper one which I didn't particularly love. I did love my funny check book cover which totally fell apart so I decided to get a wallet that held everything! I splurged on an Isabella Fiore wallet on Ebay:




Here's what I had to replace:

Note the caption on the checkbook cover--"Deficit spending--It isn't just for governments anymore!" Boy does that describe my finances to a "T!"

I put my recycling in this bag today:

My local grocery store had these bags on Earth Day. I'm guessing a local scout troop decorated them. I got two with different designs. They will look lovely on the curb Tuesday morning! Much nicer than a run of the mill blue plastic bin. Don't you think?

I thought I would post a beard photo of Bird. Here he is in all his grizzly glory:

He looks like one of those Y2K survivalists from Montana!

Then on April 30, he turned into this:

Now, that's my darling little boy! Apparently he is now clean shaven!

I have to get ready for school tomorrow! Weekends are always too short!

Bushism of the day:
"More Muslims have died at the hands of killers than -- I say more Muslims -- a lot of Muslims have died -- I don't know the exact count -- at Istanbul. Look at these different places around the world where there's been tremendous death and destruction because killers kill." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 29, 2004

Kitty Cam: The kitties compete for the available sunny spots on the floor. Harley is trying to scare off one of the others so he can get a turn!

1 comment:

  1. Love the swatch of that Classic Elite knitting pattern! Bird looks very handsome in the "after" picture! (I'm not a huge fan of beards - whenever Jim grows one I pressure him to get rid of it.)

    ReplyDelete