Friday, May 9, 2008

And now, for something completely different!

No knitting or sewing to show off today. I've been lazy. I will share a different type of art with you today! Tattoo art! I just bought tickets for the Baltimore Ink: Patterns on Bodies show at the Baltimore Museum of Art. Ems and I are going to have some quality girl time that night! There is also a design contest. The rules are that you must attend the BMA and choose a piece of artwork which inspires you. You then create a tattoo based on that artwork. The design along with the name of the artwork and the artist are submitted for judging. Pretty neat! Now, I don't have tattoos myself. They weren't cool when I was young. In fact, back then, toothless women who lived in trailor parks had tattoos. That is so ingrained in me that I cannot entertain the thought of getting one for myself. I do appreciate the artistic ones though. My kids have created tattoos that are really personal to them. Ems' first one had drama masks imposed over a music staff. That one is on her back. Then she has a self portrait of John Lennon with the word "Imagine" done in rainbow colors on her ankle. The self portrait is a line drawing. Next, we have these:

The one on the left is Ems' wrist and the one on the right is Bird's bicep. The matching tattoos were designed by both of them and they were done as Ems' gift to Jeremy on his 18th birthday. Music is one of the things that they have always done together and Jeremy is a sound recording major so it was very fitting.

Next we have this one:

That one took a couple of sessions! It is on her upper back and it really looks striking with a backless garment!

Next we have this one:


And finally, the above art was augmented with this:

This was Ems' gift to herself for graduating from Graham Webb. The new work is more intensely colored but will match the older tat once it peels.

Bird swears that he is getting a heart with "Mom" on it. Oh boy! I can hardly wait!

You've heard the saying of wearing one's heart on their sleeve. My kids wear their "art" on theirs!

It is Mother's Day weekend and I am writing about my kids because without them, I wouldn't be a mother and I truly adore them! This is the first Mother's Day since my mom passed away. I think about her often and with the fondest of memories. I feel truly fortunate to have had the parents I had and I hope that my kids will feel the same way when they get older!

To all you Moms out there--Happy Mother's Day! Treat yourself to something special this weekend!

Bushism of the day:
"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." --George W. Bush, Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004

Kitty Cam: It's super Harley!

1 comment:

  1. I'm about five-ten years too old to have really grown up with the tattoo craze, but I do appreciate them when nicely done. I like that multicolor one on your daughter's back. The Bushism of the day kills me. I don't know if I told you that I turned a woman in my office on to the Bush countdown page? We both love it.

    ReplyDelete