Friday, July 13, 2007

Stash Enhancement and other happenings

So the mailbox brought me some major stash enhancement today. I guess it's not really "stash" if it is earmarked for a specific project though. The first package is stash because it's not for anything specific--something I don't typically do. Three skeins of Rowan Calmer purchased for $3.99 a skein on clearance from Cucumberpatch's Ebay store. I love Calmer and I can easily make a tank from 3 skeins of this. I would have bought more, but this was the last of it!

The second package contained some Berroco Denim Silk which I have been looking everywhere for. This yarn has been discontinued, which for the life of me, I cannot figure out why! It is 20% silk and 80% rayon. It is a fine tape and it is heathered. The color I got is like that of slightly acid washed jeans. I found it at New York Knits though a Google Search. Everyone was out of this color. This is to make the Blue Smock pattern on Gay's blog.

The color is actually bluer than in the photo.

Lastly, I finially received the yarn for my Red Carpet Convertible which is the other project for the SKC Knit Along. The yarn called for, Classic Elite Playful Weekend, is too expensive and I'm not sure that I like the texture. I ordered some Noro Hana Silk ribbon from Stash which is in the UK. The price including shipping was way cheaper than anywhere in the US. I've never seen this yarn before so I took a chance in ordering it. I figured that I couldn't go wrong given that it was 100% silk and I was not disappointed! The color is an intense red and it has that delicious crunch of silk! I love it and can't wait to see how it knits up!


I got my hair cut yesterday. It's not that different but it will take a little getting used to. She cut about 3 inches off the length and it's quite blunt . She didn't cut the layers at all and did heavier bangs. Cathy's haircuts always prove to be the best, so I'm sure I will be used to the slight change in no time!


I did some research for fabric for "the gown." I found a vibrant bright turquoise silk charmeuse at G-Street and it's a fabulous color. I didn't buy it as I found the same stuff on Ebay from a Canadian fabric dealer. I will have to get the silk organza for the lining at G=Street though. I decided that I am building a bra into the dress which will make it so much easier to wear. The challange will be how to bustle it. I realized that there is a godet in the center back and typically I bustle this cut of skirt with fasteners on the center back seam--with a godet, there is no center back seam. Once the dress is finished, I will put it on the dress form and play around with the bustling part. I don't think it will be a problem.

Mikey had to have blood taken today and the vet had trouble finding a vein. Poor guy had to be shaved on part of his neck, one arm and the inside of one leg! He looks like a patchwork quilt! He's a good patient and never fights or struggles. The vet and technician always say he deserves a treat!

I really need to get to work on Fifi. I would love to finish it before I go to New England on Monday 7/23.

Kitty Cam:
Mokey takes time away from his 19th floor view to pose for Ems.

1 comment:

  1. Love the "kitty in the window" pic - they do love to see what's going on, don't they? The Calmer might be nice for this top in the Rowan Calmer Collection called Soul. I made one and liked it, but at the time I didn't know about negative ease and rounded "up" to the M size so it is a little big. Now I'd probably do the XS size, knowing what I do about this yarn!

    ReplyDelete