Saturday, September 29, 2007

RRRRRRRRIP!

So goes Juliet! Yup! I frogged her! I got almost to the end of the yoke--where the body is joined and discovered that my gauge was significantly off. My swatch had determined that size 9 needles would give me gauge (3.5 stitches/ 5 rows per inch). The yarn label also says size 8 - 9 needles gives this gauge. Wrong! After knitting 20 rows--I found that my gauge was 4.5 stitches per inch and the yoke only measured 3 inches long whereas it should've measured 4 inches. I suspect this is why the fabric felt so dense. I ripped it all out and started again using size 10.5 needles. It seems to be the right gauge so far. I can handle if it is too loose as I am making the size S. Both S and XS have the same number of stitches. Small just has you joining the body after 32 rows instead of 26 rows like the XS. I figure I'll just try it on at 26 rows!

I received a delightful surprise the the land down under today. My Ravelry Caffeine Swap packaged arrived today from Australia! It was a lovely treat! There was a box of Earl Gray Teabags, some special cookies, a lovely mug, a little tea bag rest with koala bears on it, some handmade stitch markers and a gorgeous skein of handdyed merino fingering weight yarn.

Here's a closer look at the yarn and stitch markers!

This yarn is just beautiful! It has shades of dark green, blue and purple and feels like butter! There are 490 yards so I may have to finally knit a pair of socks--unless I decide to do a lace scarf of some sort! I don't know! I'll know what to do when I see the right pattern!

I decided to stop by Borders today since it is Educator's Week and teachers get 25% off all books, CD, and DVD's. I only bought one book. As an educator, I thought I needed to be more educated in this:

Secifically in this:

I fell in love with that top! It's designed by Annie Modesitt which explains it all. I love her designs. There are some fabulous kids sweaters in there among other things--quite a few that I would gladly make. I was hoping to also find "Bag Style." I viewed some of the designs for that one online and found it to be the most interesting book of bags that I've seen yet. All of the Style series books are fabulous. I have Scarf Style and Lace Style as well and love them both.

Another design that I've fallen in love with is Cherie Amour from the fall issue of Knitty. This looks like a really quick knit. It is knit in the round with the sleeves flat knit then sewn in. I studied the pattern and came to realize that the sleeves could be picked up and knit in the round from the shoulder down. I'm seriously thinking of making this. The handpainted yarn recommended in the pattern is lovely but the color I like is out of stock so I will have to wait to see if they restock it.

I took Mikey to the vet for a fructosamine test today. Nomally he just gets a glucose test that involves pricking his ear then using a regular glucose meter like human diabetics use. The fructosamine test involves taking a large vial of blood for a more complex test at the lab. This test can tell what his average daily glucose level was for the last 2 weeks. They use a really large syringe and poke around in his neck until they hit a vein. Sometimes they have to shave him so they can see the vein. He's a good little patient. He doesn't struggle at all. I always feel so bad for him. It's funny how he is so loveable to me after all this. He cuddles and nuzzles me when I sit down. I can't help but think that he knows I'm doing this to make him feel good.

DH and I are going to Pittsburgh tomorrow so I need to get some laundry done.

Bushism of the day:
"I want it to be said that the Bush administration was a results-oriented administration, because I believe the results of focusing our attention and energy on teaching children to read and having an education system that's responsive to the child and to the parents, as opposed to mired in a system that refuses to change, will make America what we want it to be — a more literate country and a hopefuller country." —George W. Bush, Jan. 11, 2001

Kitty Cam:
Mikey takes a nap after his hard afternoon at the vet.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about Juliet - the gauge issues might have resulted from the fact that they have you test gauge in st. stitch but the yoke is knit in garter stitch. Right?

    ReplyDelete