Sunday, January 21, 2007

Calorimetry

My friend Dorothy knit this pattern called Calorimetry from the Knitty website and I loved it so I thought I'd try it. There has been a lot of blogging about this pattern. It's definitely not sized right as it calls for casting on 120 stitches with a gauge of 5 stitches per inch. That would measure 24 inches! Upon reading the various blog postings about this project, I decided to swatch the yarn to check the gauge. The gauge on the pattern indicates 5 stitches per inch in 2 x 2 rib slightly stretched. I used Noro Kureyon and size 7 needles which gauged to 4.5 stitches per inch. I only knit 20 stitches in 2 x 2 rib for about 5 rows to get the gauge. I've found a great new gadget which measures gauge.

You place the gauge on the knitting and use the slider to measure off 10 stitches. The slider points to a number indicating the number of stitches per inch.

I decided to cast on 88 stitches for my calorimetry which I figured would measure 19 - 20 inches when finished. I followed the rest of the instructions on the pattern, knitting the number of rows indicated and it turned out perfectly!


I purchased a skein of Taos yarn to knit another one. This is an earth toned wool with twists of other colors which should be a different effect than the self striping colors of the Noro.

This project would be a great gift! It knits quickly and everyone seems to love it!

1 comment:

  1. I love the colors Vicki!! I might have to buy me some of that yarn and make YET another one :) I can't wait to see it on you!

    ReplyDelete