Friday, January 19, 2007

More Hats!





More about hats! I bought a fabulous book called Hip Knit Hats by Cathy Caron. The book has a lot of info about felting hats and adding embellishments. If you decide to purchase this book, be sure to look up the author's website which is listed in the book as there are a lot of errors. You will find a page of "errata" on the website. It ended up as 3 printed pages! I wrote the corrections in my book so that I don't have to worry about pulling out a separate piece of paper.
One thing that I like is that the hats in this book are knit from the top down. It took me a while to figure out the cast on directions--you cast on 6 stitches and make increases--but I like the way it works. If you tend to bind off tightly, you may want to use a size larger needle to bind off with so that the hat has enough stretch.
I've made 3 hats from this book so far. One is just a bulky knit beanie. I used a thick thin bulky yarn which was similar to Colinette's Point 5 and I added more rows of ribbing. I can't remember off hand what the had was called but it was a pretty basic design. My favorite hat is the Bobble hat which was knit with Manos A Uraguay yarn. This was one of the patterns with the errors so I'm glad that I corrected those before starting!

No comments:

Post a Comment