Tuesday, December 8, 2020

2020 Costuming Year in Review

It's that time of year --where I take stock of what I accomplished and what I failed to accomplish. Normally I'd wait until the end of the month but since I'm doing Christmas sewing from now until then, I don't anticipate getting anything new made.  Here are my costuming accomplishments for 2020:

1, 2.  Two silk hoods:  One taffeta and one silk velvet.  To be honest, these were started in 2019 and the finishing details were done on New Years Day.  The silk taffeta one is copied from a New England example in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.  I created a downloadable pattern for these which is available on the blog post.   Blog post here.



3.  Fur trimmed velvet cloak:  Detailed blog post here.


4,5,6.  Mrs. Russell's outfit:  1760s brown silk gown, antique linen with lace handkerchief, lace trimmed lappet cap.  Detailed blog post here.








7,8.   Yellow Silk Damask gown with petticoat and lace pinner cap.  Blog post here.


Inspiration images


9.  1760s Indienne gown:  Detailed blog post here.



10.  Garnet silk hat.  Blog post here.


Based on this hat in the V&A

11.  Black silk tulle mourning handkerchief trimmed with lace.


12.  Moretti masks.  I almost hesitate to list these but they were quite labor intensive so I figured I would.  They are based on period images and a research piece by Phillipe Halbert.


13, 14.  Lambskin mitts of purple and claret.  Detailed blog post here






15.  Sultana with petticoat and sash.  Detailed blog post here.



16. Sheer linen cap trimmed with lace.


17 .  Long term project carried into next year:  Quilted petticoat.  Series of blog posts here.  I hesitate to list this but the time involved so far exceeds that of making of a number of gowns.  Here are a couple of progress shots.






Reflecting on what I accomplished, it occurred to me that everything was 18th century.  I really focused on studying different decades and what distinguishes them from others which made me feel that I had a good amount of variety.  The past couple of years have also had some Regency and Edwardian projects but not this year!  I'm planning though!   Next year will have more variety!

1 comment:

  1. Delightful! It's quite inspiring to see what you've accomplished during this strange year!

    ReplyDelete