Monday, March 30, 2020

Life During a Pandemic, part 6: Staying Sane

 So life isn't too much different here since we are retired homebodies.  However it's the trips to the grocery store and other essential outings that bring variety to our day.  When I was working, I went to the grocery store because I had to.  I go now to get out.  Those days are pretty much over for a while.  Today was day 8 since I had gone anywhere except my walk.  I was planning to do curbside pick up at Wegmans but when I made the order on Saturday night, the soonest I could get pick up was Thursday.  Given that I had finished my last banana, my blueberries and the lettuce, that wouldn't do.  They had delivery Sunday afternoon and all day Monday(today) so I chose Monday morning as I thought the store would be better stocked.  My groceries were left on the porch around 10:45 am.    A few minutes later, the news broke that the governor issued a Stay at Home order. 


Watching so much news can be unsettling but there's such a need to know and things are in a constant state of flux.  After reading the order, I realized that life, for our house, would remain pretty much the same as we've been cautious.   I had ordered mulch and week killer online at Home Depot on Friday night so I figured I'd go pick them up as well as go through the Starbucks drive through to get a couple pounds of espresso.  Last was a drive through at CVS to pick up David's RX.  Home Depot was quite crowded.  The customer service rep said that it was just today--my guess is people wanting to do home/garden projects while they're stuck at home.  I signed for my mulch them went to the car and it was loaded in.  I felt pretty safe--not being anywhere close to a human.  I did succumb to a junk food craving and went through McD's drive through for a double cheeseburger and small fries.  Looks like we're home for a while.  Hopefully we can keep getting Wegmans delivery for staples.

Yesterday we Google Duo'd Jeremy and Genevieve.  We really do enjoy doing that.


Other forms of amusement:  Facebook posts like this--google your first name and the words apocalypse outfit and see what you get.  As you can see--mine is pretty badass.  

Luna is loving having me on the couch and appears annoyed when I ignore her.

David cleaned out the side flower bed and uncovered the little tombstone that Emily made for her parakeet in 1991.  It says (including the part that's missing)  God Bless Chilly   Bn Dec. 24, 1988  Died Nov. 4, 1991  God Bless Our Beloved Bird.

I made pancakes Sunday morning.  Wanted to use up the buttermilk I had.  I'm sorry I didn't check my mom's cookbook first.  I used a buttermilk pancake recipe I found online and they were good but I had forgotten that the Oatmeal Pancakes I loved while growing up also had buttermilk.  This recipe is from the 1950 first edition of the Good Housekeeping Cookbook.


Got started on my 1760s gown for our millinery shop for Historic Annapolis that probably won't happen.  At least I'll be ready when it does!

Life goes on and if we do what we need to do, it will continue to.  Please stay safe and stay inside.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete