Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dilemma

I have a dilemma--I'm debating whether or not to start the Silken Scabbard for the SKC Knitalong. I still have to finish the sweater I've been working on. It is just a matter of finishing the lace which is a brain dead type of knitting--very simple memorized design. I am just not motivated right now because it is more of a spring/summer sweater. It's cold now and I want to get my hands on merino. I have another summer project started--the Dayflower camisole. I think that I need to have a summer knitting bag and a winter knitting bag. The summer UFO's will live in the summer bag until they are finished and the winter UFO's will live in their bag during the warmer months. I will knit about an inch more of the lace so that I can take my size 6 needles to use for the Silken Scabbard. Once I've done 3 inches of lace, I switch to size 7's so that will be the game plan. I may save this sweater to work on at knitting group on Wednesday nights. I'll work on the SS the other nights. At least I will be finishing it! That's the plan.

Yesterday I took a sick day. I really felt yucky. I slept until 11 then lay around on the couch all day. I never got dressed, called out for pizza and didn't really accomplish anything. The only thing I did, which was minimal--was to London Shrink a piece of wool fabric that I bought at Joann's Thursday afternoon. I won't tell what the new project is. It is something that was planned in reverse. By that I mean that I bought some rather special unusual buttons--3 to be exact and I had to decide what to do with them. When the proverbial light bulb came on, I envisioned a particular garment to be made out of wool flannel. This project will be kept incognito until it is finished! As far as London shrinking wool goes--check the side bar. I have a section of downloadable tutorials and there will be on on preshrinking wool fabric there shortly!

Today I spent an hour in the car simply to go to G Street for interfacing! Traffic was a bear. Joann's just doesn't have a real selection of interfacing. I wanted fusible hair canvas which I was able to get there to the tune of $18.98 a yard! WoW! The interfacing cost more than the fabric! I wanted to get some extra for my supplies stash, but I decided against it. Instead, I found B Black and Sons online which carries all types of hair canvas for much less--and it's 70 inches wide! I placed an order for several different weights of fusible and non fusible to keep on hand. The other item I have to get at G Street is Bemberg Rayon lining. Joann's only has it in red, beige, black and navy. It's really frustrating since all the other fabric stores have closed.

We are getting close to Halloween so I thought I'd share some photos from the past. This whole week I will be showing off some of the costumes that I've made for the kids. Halloween was always a huge deal at our house! We dressed up and would go to both sets of grandparents' homes for photos and goodies before going trick or treating! These will be only a fraction of the photos. My mother in law always dressed up as well and I have more photos with her and the nieces and nephews.

The first photo is of Ems' first Halloween. She was 11 1/2 months old and just starting to walk!


Unfortunately you can't see the sproingy little tail. It was a spiral tail with a point at the end and it would bounce when she would toddle around.

This next photo is one of my favorites! This was Em's second Halloween when she was just under 2!

This costume had little gossamer wings that velcroed to the back. This one was my own design.

The next year, we had Jeremy so he got to be the devil and Ems was a kitty. No surprise there!

Ems always loved kitties. We didn't have any cats then but both Grandmas did! In fact her first word was kitty!

Let me not forget the costume that I made to wear at school:

Our mascot is the Roadrunner! This costume has a big tail that sticks up behind. McCalls patterns made a series of patterns for Loony Tunes characters and I bought most of them. It's a good thing because they pulled them off of the market shortly after they were released due to copyright issues! You will see more in the next few days!

Bushism of the day:
"I'm going to try to see if I can remember as much to make it sound like I'm smart on the subject." --George W. Bush, answering a question about a possible flu pandemic, Cleveland, July 10, 2007

Kitty Cam: Mikey takes a nap on the dining room table.

3 comments:

  1. I would start Silken Scabbard!! You can always pick up Dayflower again when you are jonesing for spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys really did always have the best Halloween costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for the winter knitting and wear the Road Runner costume to school on Friday!! :)

    ReplyDelete