Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I love when the doorbell rings . . .

because it usually means that the UPS man has left a package on the doorstep! Yesterday I received these:

These are my new Uggs clogs! You might think I'm nuts to be ordering these in the middle of the summer, but there is some history here. I started wearing Uggs about 30 years ago, before anyone knew what they were. I used to order them from Eddie Bauer way back then and DH and I had matching slippers that were ankle high with a roll down cuff. Once we had kids, they had the same slippers. We always liked them because you could go outside to lock the cars or take out the trash in them--plus they were virtually indestructible! I switched to the clogs about 15 years ago and I wear them as slippers year round. A few years ago I discovered by accident that they could be washed in the washing machine! One of my slippers was under a laundry pile in the closet and it inadvertently got put in the washer with the clothes. Imagine my surprise when I found that my ratty old slipper looked almost new! Since then though the shearling lining is practically gone and they are really ready to retire. Check out the contrast between the old and the new:

I feel like I should have some sort of ceremony for them before I respectfully place them in the trash! They've provided me with at least 15 years of faithful service. They were a prominent part of this Self Portrait Challenge post.

I tried on Labyrinth last night:


Fits like a glove! I will add 3 inches to the length. I'll knit 12 rows in the teal yarn then do my dye painting to correct the color issues. After that I can add the ribbing on the bottom and neckline then do the sleeves. I love Wendy Bernard's fitted top down sweaters. They are so easy to alter to your measurements. This one only required a few extra hip increases. The pattern called for 6 increases done every 7 rows. I did 8 increases every 5 rows which is what I had done for Sahara. I can't wait to finish! I'd like to have it done before I leave for Boston on the 21st. I'm thinking that I will either do the Dayflower Camisole or Violetta next. I have the yarn for Dayflower so that will probably be it. I'm going to wait on Sea Urchin and do it when school starts. It will be a good fall piece to wear over a tank top when the weather is still warm.

I've been going through some stuff in the sewing room. I thought you might enjoy this:

100 Buttons! This is in a frame and it hangs over my sewing machine. I made this for Ems to take to school in Kindergarten. It was the 100th day of school and the students were to bring in 100 of something. What better to come from our house than 100 buttons! I have always had a love affair with buttons.

My mother had 5 of these button jars in her dresser drawer. It was deja vu when I found them while cleaning out her house. These were like buried treasure to me as a child. I remember begging to play with the buttons. I would sit at the kitchen table and do who knows what with them. I know that I would sort them by color or size. I would pick out the fancy ones--particularly those with rhinestones --and I would arrange them to make pictures. No Fisher Price shape sorters for me! I got to play with buttons! I suspect this accounts for much of my love of them. I will have to come up with some creative things to do with my vintage buttons. I may have to make jewelry with some of them. I can't bear to part with them.

A bit of nostalgia
To continue my discussion of buttons and trinkets I've decided to share photos of a lovely little Chatelaine that I made some years ago. For those unfamiliar with chatelaines, they are items that are worn by the user to hold hand sewing/embroidery tools--needles, thread, thimble, embroidery scissors, awls etc. Chatelaines were typically worn around the neck or affixed to the waist with a tie. This one is about 6 inches wide and 5 inches high and worn around the neck.

Let's look at the details. This item is constructed from scraps of velvet, silk, moire taffeta, grosgrain ribbon and small crocheted doilies. The fabric is pieced in a crazy quilt style and each seam is embellished with silk and seed bead hand embroidery. There are antique cut glass and mother of pearl buttons. A pocket holds the embroidery scissors. Two hand crocheted pouches with ribbon drawstrings hold a thimble and a wooden needle case, whose top is also embellished with a pearl button and seed beads. There are also some antique fabric trims as well as a new little brass charm. A velvet ribbon snaps onto the scissors to keep them from getting lost.



I love this little item. I keep it in my room but I should probably display it on my antique sewing machine in the living room alongside my other antique sewing trinkets. I still use this when I do embroidery!

Bushism of the day
"You know, when I campaigned here in 2000, I said, I want to be a war President. No President wants to be a war President, but I am one." --George W. Bush, Des Moines, Iowa, Oct. 26, 2006

Kitty Cam: Greg chills on the couch while watching another episode of Law & Order.

3 comments:

  1. I love old buttons, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you're wearing it, the difference in the yarn colors is much less noticeable than in the previous photo. It's really a nice fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, you can totally have a ceremony to retire the old clogs! Shit, I had a ceremony when I shaved my beard. Speaking of which, I need to get that video.

    ReplyDelete