Thursday, July 24, 2008

I think I'm going blind!

I've been hovering over vital records and microfilm and books galore. Yesterday the NEHGS (New England Historical Genealogical Society) library was open until 9 so I spent about 6 or 7 hours there. Genealogical research is like a huge puzzle. You solve one little piece then a bunch more fit in. If you are missing a piece then you cannot solve other mysteries. I was trying to prove a link between 2 generations in the late 1700's. In trying to prove the link, I actually proved that the link did not take me where I wanted to go. I found another person of the same name and proved that link. Basically that undid several years of research because I had taken multiple ancestral lines back from the incorrect link and sourced all their vital records! So I have to do it again. Many of the lines are the same. I am working with Mayflower lineage. Let's face it. When there are only 20 families in an entire geographical area, there will be some marrying among cousins! That always amuses my kids and they start with the West Virginia jokes (no offense to any readers from West Virginia!) Tomorrow I will pick up DH at the airport in Providence and we will visit some ancestral burial grounds in Little Compton Rhode Island. There is a winery there that we hope to visit as well.

I did say that I would show what I bought at Windsor Button:

I don't know how well the facets show up on the buttons. They are Czech glass and gorgeous and I think they are perfect for the coat I want to make. Here are some shots of a few projects from the book that I like:



Today it poured rain all day! On the way back to the hotel, as I was stopping at Starbucks, I noticed a fabric store. It was quite large and looked sort of dumpy. I was quite surprised at what they had. They had a very large interior design section, quilting stuff and some fashion fabric. I was hoping for some cotton/spandex blends but didn't see any. I was very surprised at the bridal/eveningwear fabric they had. I purchased 1/4 yard of a silk that had ribbon embroidered motifs on it. I also got a yard of a sheer organza type silk in a grassy green and a yard of 70/30 cotton/silk voile. I love the voile. I may go back to get enough to make a slip. I bought these pieces to make some lavender sachets since I have a lot o fresh lavender drying.



I brought along my knitting and haven't touched it. The time in the hotel has been spent creating charts and doing online research. I may have to do a few rows.

I leave you with a couple of photos from Boston Common. First is the stage being set up for Shakespeare on the Common. They perform Shakespeare several nights a week in Boston Common and people begin gathering early. The second is the State House.



Bushism of the day:
"I think it's really important for this great state of baseball to reach out to people of all walks of life to make sure that the sport is inclusive. The best way to do it is to convince little kids how to--the beauty of playing baseball." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Feb. 13, 2006

Kitty Cam: The two big lugs --Greg and Mikey--stayed close to me before I left. They always seem to know when I'm getting ready to leave and they become quite clingy. This is the scene when I got up from my computer:

No comments:

Post a Comment