Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Catching up

So I've been trying to knit a lot lately. I am having hand surgery the end of March and I don't know how long I will be out of commission where knitting is concerned. I won't have trouble sewing as it is my left hand that will be useless. If I cut out the stuff ahead of time, I can easily sit at the sewing machine and put it together. So I really want to finish Giselle and 28Thirty. Giselle is turning out to be an easy knit. Of course I may change my mind when I have to do the crochet trim and put the sleeve flounces on that way. We will see! The color is truly gorgeous! It is called Periwinkle and it has shades of blue and purple in it as well.


I scored some nice knitting stuff on ebay this week. First, I got some books:

I've been interested in Elizabeth Zimmerman as she and Barbara Walker really go into great detail regarding designing top down sweaters. I'm also dying to make Cat Bordhi's moebius cowl that she demonstrated on Knitty Gritty. Her book is fascinating. In the past, people made moebius scarves by making a long piece then twisting it and grafting. Cat Bordhi knits them as a moebius by doing a special cast on. The pieces are knit from the center out and I find myself to be quite intrigued by the process. I studied the moebius cast on and I think I have a grasp of it. Once I finish Giselle, I will make myself one of these. Which leads me to the yarn I scored on Ebay:

The two green skeins on the right are Jade Sapphire 6 ply cashmere silk which I will make the moebius cowl out of. The skein on the left is ArtYarns Silk Rhapsody which will be used to make this scarf.
I also got 10 skeins of Cascade Creme which is 50/50 wool/silk in a dk weight.

I hope to use this for the Sylph Cardigan which is in the Spring IK.

I have to get crackin' on my sewing projects. I picked up some KwikSew patterns my last trip to G Street:

I have had trouble finding yoga clothes that fit. All the pants are just too long, so I pick up these patterns. I like KwikSew patterns for knit stuff. They are designed particularly well and go together really fast. I hope to get back to G-Street this weekend as they are having a President's Day sale with everything being 25% off. I saw some heavyweight 90/10 Cotton/Lycra knit that I want to pick up for these.

We are going to Pittsburgh on the 24th for Bird's concert. I hope the weather isn't too wintery that day. Bird told me that it was snowing like a bear last night and they were expected to get ice. I'm jealous. We have been cheated here when it comes to winter weather. Today we got little spurts of freezing rain which is nasty but it is expected to turn to regular rain. Bummer. This past weekend in was insanely windy. Our shed actually blew away! We got a knock on the door only to find out that our shed blew onto the neighbor's driveway. So DH and the kid next door spent a while knocking it down. Now we have a shed floor with a riding mower sitting on it, but no shed!

I pretty much stayed in today as there was no school. I went out to vote and that was it! I'm still battling what's left of my respiratory infection. I skipped yoga and just didn't go anywhere. It seems I have pleurisy which is probably a result of my cold. It just hurts to breathe deeply so I couldn't face an hour and a half of doing just that!

I must get back to Giselle!

Bushism of the day:
"You're free. And freedom is beautiful. And, you know, it'll take time to restore chaos and order — order out of chaos. But we will." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 13, 2003

Kitty Cam:
Even though it is cloudy today, Samantha can be found in her basking place--the dining room table! Notice how she performs when she sees the camera! She's such a little diva!

2 comments:

  1. Giselle is looking great! I have never tried the Kwik Sew patterns I have in stash yet, but plan to. I also find a lot of the yoga pants to be too long (except the Victoria's Secret petite ones, but their quality is not the best.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what? no knitting? that's just horrible. at least you have sewing and you like sewing which i do not. don't be too jealous about our snow...it did snow about five inches or more but it rained the next day, i never saw ice and then the melting started and we are down to not too much is left around here. i wish we could have a big snow big! the year i moved into this house it snowed in december and the snow just stayed all winter and acumulated. i atill think i should have that kind of weather in winter always!

    ReplyDelete