The skirt was very straight forward. Just sew the front to the side fronts then the side backs and a large back piece. There is an opening left between one side back and the back. I chose to actually made a placket so my petticoat wouldn't show. I pleated the back piece to fit the waistband then attached hooks and eyes. There are ties attached to the inside seams where the side backs join the back. These are tied pulling the front tighter and making the back fullness protrude more in the back, not allowing it to move around to the sides.
The bodice went together without issue. I did have to use plastic boning which I dislike as I didn't have any sprung steel bones in the correct lengths and time was of the essence. Typically bodices were underlined (called flatlining) to give them more structure so I did this using unbleached muslin which allowed me to make my dart markings easily. Bodices were typically not lined. Seams were just finished and typically a waist stay was stitched in. Edges were faced with self fabric bias strips. Truly Victorian patterns have you make a bagged lining. Given the ravely nature of the silk taffeta, I decided that I would go ahead and do a bagged lining using lightweight black silk.
I was able to find some nice wide vintage lace on Etsy in a sufficient quantity for this. I have a huge lace stash but most of it is either narrow or Swiss embroidery, neither of which was the look I wanted. I just hand whipped the lace in place making little pleats as I went along.
I went ahead and made machine buttonholes but at a later time, I'll go over them by hand. I had gotten some 1890ish vegetable ivory buttons from someone in the Vintage Fabric Buy and Sell Facebook group which were the perfect shade.
I ended up with almost 4 yards of extra silk taffeta! The yardage chart didn't list anything wider than 45 inches and my silk was 56 inches wide. So I purchased an overskirt pattern to make up at a later date. Ladies could change the look of their outfits by putting different overskirts on!
Our beautiful Maryland State Society DAR Chapter House where our Founders Day Tea was held was the perfect setting for a photo shoot.