Wednesday, January 1, 2020

2020 Costuming Goals

I always enjoy looking back on my costuming goals as I find that while I complete a good number of them, I end up with a lot of other unplanned projects instead.  Such is life.  Go with the flow!

I have several major events that are helping to inform my plans.  Here's what I hope to get done in 2020.

Between now and March 1,  I'd like to complete the following 4 projects:

Fur trimmed black velvet short cloak ca 1765.


I've patterned this cloak but have not begun constructing it.

Spotted worsted long sleeved Italian gown and pink worsted petticoat.  I had hoped to do this one last winter and simply didn't get to it.

Mid century silk damask gown using this gown in the Met as inspiration.  Blue taffeta petticoat to go with it. This gown was also on my list last year.  A proper mid century cap will also be made for this gown.



I've decided to embrace my inner old lady and make the iconic New England upper sort old lady gown and accessories.
The gown will be the style of Mrs. Ellery's gown below and will have a sheer black handkerchief.  This is late 1760s-1770.

My silk is more the color of Mrs. Russell's gown.  I plan on also making a white silk handkerchief with lace border and a cap with lace like Mrs. Russell's. 

 White satin mitts lined with a warm gray silk will be the final accessory foe this outfit.

Other projects in the 2020 queue:

A gown similar to that worn by Mrs. Ralph Izzard ca. 1776

My silk is a shot silk with turquoise and gold.  Mrs. Izard's cap will also be copied for this project.


 1912 Tea gown based on the center model in this fashion plate.  I'll need to pattern this one.


Mrs. Hodge's gold silk gown and accessories.  This one is has been on the last 2 years' lists.  It's just a matter of getting the mojo to do it as I have the materials.

Reproducing my mom's WWII Red Cross uniform.



I hope to be adding some Regency items--and much of that depends on if we decide to have another Regency sewing event.

There will be "modern" sewing as well which is basically anything from 1940 and up.  This one is on the queue to make late March:

I think that's about it.  It'll be fun to look back at the end of the year to see what I actually accomplished from this list and the items that were not on the list that were done.

I hope everyone is able to accomplish your goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment