Sunday, September 1, 2019

There's nothing like a new bonnet and summer Spencer!

Time for a super quickie project.  I had made a half-bodiced petticoat which I wrote about in this post and I decided to make something summery to wear over it for the Battle of North Point which is typically very hot.  I had recently seen the Fig Leaf unlined Spencer made up and I really liked it so I thought it would be a great little summer garment.


I had recently made 2 blue gowns and I had seen an Indienne cotton in a purple print that I liked.  I decided to consult my favorite little color guide which was published in 1820.

The colors are a bit washed out in the reprint of the book but there were indeed a number of purples in it.

I ordered the last 8 yards of this Indienne voile to make the Spencer and a long sleeved Regency gown.  I made the Spencer according to the pattern directions, cutting it with the higher neckline.  It was pretty quick.  The seams are flat felled, there's a wide tape waistband stitched in the back.

The underbust casings are made with 3/8 inch tape and there's a casing around the neck.

Here's what it looks like from the front.

I had purchased a hemp straw bonnet blank from Timely Tresses  at our August Regency Weekend.  Dannielle makes these individually with hemp braid.  I decided I wanted to be able to use this blank with other outfits so I used 3 inch moire ribbon and wrapped it around starting in the front and crossing it in the back.  I used small silk pins to hold it in place.

I tied a bow in the front, slipping a small bunch of flowers behind it and pinned the bow loops in place.

Then I draped the rest of the ribbon over the sides, experimenting with placement and pinned them in place from the inside.  I figured by pinning, I could take the ribbon off and exchanged it for another color.  It took about 3 yards of ribbon.

I was really pleased with the bonnet and the spencer.  The spencer is extremely comfortable as the armscye is cut a bit larger than a gown.  The voile made it nice and cool for a late summer day.

I highly recommend this pattern.  It's straight forward and a quick sew -- even by hand.  This little spencer can take on a whole different look depending on the fabric choice .  I definitely see a few more of these in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment